It was Rose's last day of conference so I set about locating our Airbnb accommodation booking a few kilos south of les Pensiers. It is in a village called Veyrier du Lac which is nestled at the base of Mont Veyrier. It turns out the place we'll be spending the next 5 days is really cute - next to a church (how handy), across the road from the city hall and the police and just a short walk from la Paniere which makes it ideally situated.
I then decided to climb Mont Veyrier which proved a really strenuous treat. Here is the view from the bottom and the top.
About an hour and a half later I reached the first stop, Col des Contabandiers, (named after the ancient rouges and smugglers who looted Annecy) dripping with sweat and feeling somewhat exhausted. Imagine my surprise when I got to the top just to find a car park and a perfectly good tarred road giving sweat-free access from the other side. Anyway, the views were worth it. I could even see the snowy peaks of Mont Blanc.
The round trip took me 5 hours and I enjoyed getting back to a shower and fresh clothes. Rose finished conferencing at 3 and we took a slow stroll along the edge of Lake Annecy and both commented how lovely it'd be if Hartbeespoort Dam could look as good - and Zuma would retire. (He he he). We then had a supper of artisanal cheese and a baguette while watching the sun set over Annecy.



No comments:
Post a Comment